DC to DC power module with the outstanding performance, compact size and the notable feature of simplified using have been used widely in the field of networking, communications, railways, military, industrial control and other fields. Therefore, most of the engineers are well aware of the fact that selecting the right DC to DC power modules can actually debug issues, save designs and can help them to focus more in the field. These things don’t only help to improve the reliability of overall system, but also shorten the total cycle of product development. Therefore, it becomes utmost important to select the right DC to DC power modules.
Apart from the most fundamental functions of voltage conversion, it is also necessary to consider the following factors. Here are the other ways you can select:
- Package: Generally power modules are packaged in different forms. Some of these are compatible with the global standards and others are non-standard. In some cases, same rated power modules come with different packaging or the same package include different rated power. So, here are some criteria to choose the right power module:
Rated power: According to the general recommendation, the real power usage of the power module is 30-80%. Too low loads can result in waste and too high are comparatively not that stable and these also produce too much heat. Most of the modules come with overload protection ability like these generally offer 120-150% bearing. But it is not at all recommended to work for a long time under these overload conditions.
Operating frequency: Commonly, the higher the frequency will be, there will be the smaller output ripple noise and better dynamic response. But here the cost would increase, especially the magnetic response. Commonly, the frequency of power module switching available in the market is under 300 kHz, or even about 100 kHz. Therefore, it becomes tough to meet with the requirements of dynamically response. So, before getting one, you must consider the usage of the high switching frequency products in applications of the strict requirements. Apart from that, the users also need to consider the fact that while the switch frequency of the power module is close to signal frequency, syntonic oscillation can take place.
Derating the range of temperature: Generally the power module manufacturers have several temperature ranges available, known as: military rank, industrial grade and commodity grade modules. So, while selecting the modules, you need to consider the actual needs of the operating temperature range. Different types of temperature level use different types of ways and materials and therefore the costs greatly vary. So, there are mainly two methods of selection:
- Select types compatible with global standards package as long as possible as here you will get better compatibility and it will be easy for you to find the replacing supplier.
- The module should have the features like upgrading, ease of system expansion and scalability
- The size of the module should be as much small as possible to save more space for other sections
- Select according to the temperature range
- Select on the basis of power and package usage